The Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe was founded in 1906 in the Bensonhurst area of Brooklyn.
A simple frame structure with steeple was erected on 15th Avenue facing 73rd Street. In 1908, a larger church was built on the same site, and contained an impressive altar, statuary and ornate Stations of the Cross.
Within a few years the church complex grew to include a rectory, convent and two school buildings. In 1933, the church building was completely destroyed by fire.
A new church was designed in a neo-Italianate style and built on the same location. In 1973, a fire devastated the interior of the 1930s building, destroying or damaging many of its furnishings and windows.
The church was soon rebuilt within the old walls, and included new stained glass windows and a new pipe organ.